Wednesday, October 21, 2015

More Gummi Bears

I need to start stretching again.

Like many things physical over the past few years, I'd let that one slide.   After an especially rough session lifting yesterday coming dangerously close to breaking Rule One* in terms of how much I increased the weight, I am noticing a reduction in fluid range of motion.  Yes, I'm sore, but this is more than just delayed-oneset muscle soreness (DOMS).  This is a tightness in my joints that means something else.

It wasn't too bad in the pool, but when I tried to hook my bra on after my shower, reaching behind myself was difficult.  I also had a problem with my calf cramping a little during my workout.  This is unusual for me for anything but a very long (for me) swim.  I also find that the more I swim, the more heel pain I experience on the mornings after.  Yes, you'd think that swimming doesn't exacerbate plantar fascitis. I can only guess tight calves and pushing off a wall and going into a full toe-pointed extension isn't helping.  Ballet again.  When I point my toe, I do it hard.  The pointed toe, floppy feet thing is actually kind of hard for me to do.  Amazing what happens when you train to a movement young and do it for several years.

That's a clear indicator stretching is called for. Besides, I know perfectly well that stretching helps reduce repetitive motion injuries on complex joints.  You know, like... shoulders?

I don't stretch nearly as much as I used to.  I come from a ballet and martial arts background -- both activities where you stretch a LOT.  The only activity I can think of offhand where you do more is yoga.

I'm actually used to being reasonably if not astoundingly flexible.  I'm totally not right now.   That's not something difficult to deal with, though.  Put on a little Marvin Gaye in the evenings and stretch out... this is the opposite of a bad time. I used to have a dance instructor who was inordinately fond of Marvin Gaye for the warmups.   It's a nice way to chill out of an evening, and I'll be able to put my forehead on my shin in no time.

I know this is a swim blog, so talking about the other physical things I do might seem a little off-topic.  But swimming is well known as a whole-body activity, and integration of strength, endurance and flexibility are all important to swimming well.

The swimming itself is going well.  I've limited my breast stroke sets to less than a fifth of the workout.  Since it used to be more like a third, I'm totally okay with this.  I'll probably wind up dropping breast stroke sets alltogether at some point, though I freely admit that I'm not too thrilled at the idea of my entire swimming working being the crawl.  It's not really my favorite stroke.

I also really need to be more strict with myself about flip turns.  I really don't like them much, but I know that for distance, it's better to do them than an open turn.  So, yeah... I need to suck that up, too.  It seems that a lot of this process is sucking up the parts I don't like. :)

I'm pushing to increase distance pretty hard, but trying not to be crazy about it.  An injury that keeps me out of the water is really worse than not training at all, so I'm keeping an eye on Rule One and also keeping an eye on that gummi bear jar.

Ah yes, the jar.  It's filling up nicely, isn't it?   It's an interesting motivator to show up regularly.   And it takes away from the all or nothing approach to which I am often prone.  For me, I want things to be perfect or I don't want to do them.  For this workout tracking method, even if I don't get in my yardage or my time is off or whatever, it doesn't really matter all that much.  The most brilliant training session where I'm on, slicing through the water like an orca, getting personal bests on speed and feeling like Neptune Himself still count the same as the ones where I feel tired, slow, and clumsy, inhale water and have to stop halfway through to cough that out of my lungs, have my goggles and cap fall off and keep getting distracted by the guys I'm sharing a lane with who REALLY needs to cut his toenails.

Both of 'em are still one gummi bear in that jar.


4 comments:

IronMike said...

My God, you sound like me when I started. Flip-turns only on sets 200 or shorter. Then flip-turns only on the far wall. Then, slowly, flip-turns all the time.

How about back stroke? Back is a great stroke for OW swimmers. A great skill is to learn how to effortlessly, and with little reduction in speed, go from crawl directly into 3 or 5 strokes of back, then back into crawl. You can use the time on your back to check out the stars during a night swim, fix a goggle leak (so practice one-armed back), check out your competition (increase your kick rate if you're going to look back thru your toes).

I used to make my triathletes do a series of swims like this:
--100 free, twice per length (it was a 'long' pool) flip over to back, do 5 strokes, flip back to crawl w/o loss of speed or direction;
--100 free, twice per length flip over to back, do one arm back for 5 strokes while with your non-stroking arm touch your goggle "cup" on that side. Switch which arm you do back with each 50;
--100 free, twice per length flip over to back, do one arm back for 5 strokes while wiht the other arm, lift your goggle cup on that side to clear out water. Switch arms each 50;
--100 free, twice per length flip over to back, increase kick rate, lift head slightly to look through toes at the person following behind you.
--100 free, twice per length flip over to back, do 5 strokes, flip back to crawl w/o loss of speed or direction.

A couple of them told me later that they used the goggle clearing in a triathlon to great success. This technique is useful because a) you don't go vertical to clear your goggles and have all the blood in your body go to your toes and get light-headed and b) you lose little to no forward momentum, which of course is a good thing.

Cheers,
Mike

Noel Lynne Figart said...

I'm not a bad backstroker (the only stroke I ever won a ribbon in), but I am not sure what color the sky is on your planet where a swimmer could flip from crawl to backstroke with no loss of speed! I learned to swim on the same swim team as a pretty darn fast backstroker, but my crawl is much, much faster.

IronMike said...

I should have clarified. I did not mean that your back stroke speed would be the same as your crawl speed. What I mean is that when you flip to back stroke, you'll be using the same amount of effort. In other words, if you're currently swimming crawl at 70%, when you flip over to back you'll also be swimming at 70%.

Some of my triathletes would flip over, pause as if to get their bearings, then start back stroking. I would try and teach them how to flip over effortlessly so that their stroke rate/frequency doesn't change.

;)

Noel Lynne Figart said...

Ah flip over smoothly and keep consistent effort. Gotcha. That sounds like a fun exercise. Imma gonna try that tomorrow morning if I get a lane to myself.