Monday, August 24, 2015

World Marathon Swimming Day

Nothing great is easy. -- inscription on the memorial to Captain Matthew Webb, the first person to swim the English Channel
 A group I participate in, the Marathon Swimmers Forum, has declared today World Marathon Swimming Day.  In 1875, Captain Matthew Webb swam the English Channel.

I could say I did an open water swim today to commemorate that, but honestly, I'd already planned to do it.  That isn't to say that I didn't think about it today.

This particular swim is rough on me in a way other swims aren't.  I'm always last in this crew.  Always.

I hate being last every single damn time.  Sure sure, you can say the whole "dead last is better than did not finish" or other platitudes, and it's not that they're wrong.  There is some level of nobility in never, ever quitting.

But sometimes that's also a cold comfort.

No comments: